The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) will be investigating the Economic Impact of Section 232 and 301 Tariffs on U.S. Industries. It allows the opportunity to explain how the application of these trade policies has affected industries and individual companies.
Last May 5, the ITC announced the initiation of a general factfinding investigation that will examine the impact of the tariffs on imports under section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 and section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 in effect as of March 15, 2022, as per the RV Industry Association‘s (RVIA) News & Insights report.
The investigation was conducted upon the Omnibus Appropriations Act, signed into law last March 15. It resulted in all active Section 232 national security tariffs and Section 301 tariffs against imports from China being subject to review.
The ITC will prepare a report on the tariffs’ impact on trade, production, and prices in industries most affected by them.
If changes in the tariffs between now and the report’s submission occur, the commission will only cover how the economy was affected by the tariffs in place as of March 2022. The ITC must submit the report to Congress by March 15, 2023.
The ITC will also seek public comments and hold a hearing in preparing the report. Key dates for the investigation include:
- July 6, 2022: Deadline for filing requests to appear at the public hearing.
- July 8, 2022: Deadline for filing prehearing briefs and statements.
- July 14, 2022: Deadline for filing electronic copies of oral hearing statements.
- July 21, 2022: Public hearing. Information about the hearing, including how to participate or observe, will be posted on the ITC’s website no later than June 21, 2022, here.
- August 12, 2022: Deadline for filing posthearing briefs and statements.
- August 24, 2022: Deadline for filing all other written submissions.
People interested in sharing their stories for the report, either through writing or testifying before the ITC or inquiries regarding the report, contact Samantha Rocci, senior manager of Government Affairs, at [email protected].