Outdoor Hospitality News

For owners, operators, team members, and anyone else interested in camping, glamping, or the RV industry.

Rocky Mountain National Park Plans to Increase Campground Fees Next Year

Rocky Mountain National Park plans to revise its campground fees starting next year. The adjustments will apply to four of its reservation campgrounds: Moraine Park, Glacier Basin, Aspenglen, and Timber Creek.

The initiative seeks to increase overnight fees from $35 to $45 per night. Additionally, the Moraine Park Campground is introducing new electrical sites, proposed at $55 per night for each of the 49 available spots, according to a press release

These adjustments will not affect the group sites at Longs Peak Campground or the winter rates, which remain unchanged. Longs Peak Campground operates on a first-come, first-served basis during the summer without water facilities.

The planned increase is to align Rocky Mountain National Park’s fees with those of nearby facilities offering similar services. The fee adjustments aim to enhance and maintain high-quality visitor services. Although the base funding for park operations comes from federal appropriations to the National Park Service, the additional revenue from these fees is earmarked for park-specific projects and ongoing maintenance that benefit visitors.

Under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA), the park keeps 80% of the fees collected to fund improvements within the park itself. The remaining 20% contributes to broader National Park System needs. 

Fee revenues have supported tree removal efforts in developed areas and popular facilities such as campgrounds and visitor centers. Campground enhancements are also a focus, with fee revenues funding the replacement of tent pad log linings, fire rings, and picnic tables, as well as the maintenance of walking paths. Trail maintenance is another area benefiting from these funds, with projects including trail repair, bridge installations, and new vault toilets at busy trailheads.

Additionally, bear management efforts have been supported by these fees. Over two decades, these funds have facilitated the transition to bear-resistant garbage and recycling containers, and the introduction of food storage lockers across the park. 

For outdoor enthusiasts planning a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, Public Affairs Officer Kyle Patterson told USA Today, “If somebody’s coming when Trail Ridge Road is open, we recommend people give themselves at least three hours to drop over the top of the park.”

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
6 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Laura Martin
Laura Martin
April 23, 2024 5:16 pm

Isn’t it exciting to hear that Rocky Mountain National Park is making improvements to enhance your visit? The campground fee adjustments are all about giving you a top-notch experience while supporting cool projects like campground upgrades and bear management. Get ready for a fantastic time in the park!

AnxiousCoder873
AnxiousCoder873
April 24, 2024 12:17 am

I think increasing campground fees at Rocky Mountain National Park is all about giving us a better experience and caring for the park. Can’t wait to see the improvements from the revenue!

HeadlineOne24
HeadlineOne24
April 24, 2024 2:29 am

It’s exciting to think about the enhancements they’ll make. The park’s gotta stay tip-top! Plus, more fees might mean more ranger-led programs or improved facilities. It’s all about keeping this slice of nature prime for us to enjoy.

Observation: The park always surprises us with its natural beauty!

Casey Sprint
Casey Sprint
April 24, 2024 8:47 am
Reply to  HeadlineOne24

Hearing about potential fee hikes makes me think about budgeting. Thanks for sharing. Let’s hope it won’t impact our camping plans too much.

YaraLattice
YaraLattice
April 24, 2024 9:27 am
Reply to  Casey Sprint

I hope the fee hike won’t disrupt our plans too much. Budgeting is key! Maybe we could explore nearby campsites for cost-effective options.

Richard Anderson
Richard Anderson
April 24, 2024 11:31 am

Ever thought about how the raised campground fees at Rocky Mountain National Park might shake up visitor plans? I’m curious to see how this impacts attendance and reservations. It would be neat to learn how the park will spread the word about these changes and the cool upgrades they’ll fund for visitors!

Advertisement

Send this to a friend
Hi, you might find this article from Modern Campground interesting: Rocky Mountain National Park Plans to Increase Campground Fees Next Year! This is the link: https://moderncampground.com/usa/colorado/rocky-mountain-national-park-plans-to-increase-campground-fees-next-year/