Outdoor Hospitality News

For owners, operators, team members, and anyone else interested in camping, glamping, or the RV industry.

News for August 14, 2022

Victorian Building Authority Advises Caravanners On Gas Safety

Advertisement

Share this article

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) warns travelers journeying during the holiday to ensure their RVs are safe and ready to use.

The authority is caravanners to make sure all of its gas connections and plumbing are safe from gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a report.

The VBA’s State Building Surveyor Andrew Cialini said it’s vital to ensure vents are cleaned and not obstructed. It may contribute to carbon monoxide inside the van because of poor ventilation.

“Owners should make sure they are dealing with a licensed plumber when undertaking gas safety tests,” he said.

Owners should also add gas safety checks to the holiday preparations and site setup list.

“All compartments need to have ventilation to prevent excessive condensation, build-up of products of combustion, or other toxic conditions,” he said. “Having proper ventilation makes sure your gas appliances and fluing system work well and maintains a safe caravan?”

“If you’re going away for the weekend, don’t underestimate the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning – a silent killer that can quickly turn a much-needed getaway into a family tragedy.”

The VBA gave out tips to ensure gas safety. They encourage caravanners to check all appliances’ hoses, cylinders, and connections for gas leaks with soapy water since bubbles will reveal potential leak points.

They said that road travel could loosen gas connections, and travelers should ensure to recheck it after arriving at their destination. Test the connection to the new bottle with soapy water when replacing a gas bottle.

The authority added to make sure the caravan has good ventilation all the time when camping. Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen if ventilation openings are covered when operating gas appliances are installed in the caravan.

Caravanners should never use external gas appliances inside a caravan or tent and never use installed gas cooking appliances in the vehicle for heating.

The VBA said a licensed plumber should undertake any work on gas in caravans with a Type A Appliance Servicing Class License, just like homes. Caravanners hiring plumbers should be provided with a compliance certificate for repairs or alteration work on caravans.

For more information on gas safety, visit https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/guides/carbon-monoxide.

This article originally appeared on Caravan Camping Sales.

Advertisement

Share this article

Modern Campground

Modern Campground

Modern Campground is the most innovative news source in the Outdoor Hospitality industry. We provide global news coverage for RV Park and Campground owners, operators, managers, and their team members.
You Are Here
Connect on Social Media
MC Fireside Chats
Latest Outdoor Hospitality News
Purem by Eberspaecher, Aapico Sign Joint Venture Agreement
Canadian Gov’t Investing Over CA$87K to Renovate, Expand Yukon Motorcycle Park
Princeton Receives CA$750K to Revitalize Community Space, Enhance RV Campground
Americans Slightly Relived With Lower Prices, Despite Inflation
New Brunswick Tourism Yet To Return To 2019 Levels, Despite High Traffic

Stay Updated
Outdoor Hospitality News

Send this to a friend
Hi, you might find this article from Modern Campground interesting: Victorian Building Authority Advises Caravanners On Gas Safety! This is the link: https://moderncampground.com/australia/victorian-building-authority-advises-caravanners-on-gas-safety/