Outdoor Hospitality News
For Campground & RV Park Owners

News for January 22, 2022

Robe Operators Claim Huge Losses from Cancellations Due to COVID-19 Misinformation

Share this article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Robe (Australia) tourism operators claim that misinformation regarding COVID-19 exposure sites in the town is the reason for the “heartbreaking” number of cancellations in caravan parks and other accommodation sites.

Five exposure sites were listed for the tiny coastal town in the south-eastern region of South Australia last week, including two close contact locations.

There haven’t been any COVID cases linked to the exposure sites.

Despite the absence of COVID cases, the Robe accommodation providers stated that they had been “hemorrhaging” with cancellations in the last few days.

The secretary of the Robe Tourism Association, Lisa Hall, the owner of Sea Vu Caravan Park, stated that the cancellations were equivalent to “thousands and thousands of dollars.”

She claimed that misinformation contributed to the pain.

“We had several people call through yesterday that were at the border being told that Robe is a hotspot … and getting turned away,” she said.

“Robe isn’t an unofficial hotspot. We aren’t sure the source of this information from.”

Hall stated that the summer visitors were their bread and butter.

“If we don’t get a January and February trade—and December trade—we won’t survive for the year,” she said.

“So we hope that message is not getting relayed to anyone trying to cross the border.”

Robe BnB host Jamie Aitken also echoed hall’s claims.

Aitken estimated that there had been around AU$100,000 worth of cancellations during the weekend.

“At the weekends at the moment, this town is absolutely humming, but this weekend, it was dead,” Aitken said.

He also blamed social media misinformation and false statements by the authorities for the cancellations.

“A series of remarks that have been made on the media and social media [is] causing us a great deal of problems,” he said.

“People were told, ‘Don’t go the Robe, it’s a hotspot’.”

“This is shaping up to be a really disastrous problem for us all,” he continued.

“[It] will continue with further cancellations unless this incorrect information is jumped on as quickly as possible.” Aitken ended.

Share this article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Modern Campground

Modern Campground

Modern Campground is the most innovative news source in the Outdoor Hospitality industry. We provide global news coverage for RV Park and Campground owners, operators, managers, and their team members.
Connect on Social Media
MC Fireside Chats
Latest Outdoor Hospitality News
Annual Florida RV SuperShow Sees More Foot Traffic this Year
Walorski, LaHood Lead Bipartisan Call to Deliver Tariff Relief to U.S. Manufacturers
Jellystone Park Jumps 77 Slots on Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top 500 U.S. Franchises List
Juniata Residents Still Frustrated Over Campground Proposal
Forest Service Releases 10-Year Strategy to Confront the Wildfire Crisis

Stay Updated
Outdoor Hospitality News