Tower’s (Minnesota) Planning andCommission (PZC) has approved a recommendation for a city-wide that will set operating guidelines for and .
The new language, adopted on February 22, has advanced to the city council for a final review and possible. If approved, the new will likely be in place just before the spring and summer season.
The new guidelines would:
• Restrict the use of firewood atto state-certified wood only to prevent the spread of invasive insects.
• Require an on-site manager or employee at all times during the season of operation.
• Require that all lighting meet night-sky standards to limit light pollution.
• Require thatbe limited to designated sites only.
• Require that all overnightor their be registered.
• Require quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. Those not complying may be asked to leave.
• Require an adequate number of refuse containers.
• Require the prohibition of fireworks, except for the 4th of July.
• Require no open carry of firearms.
• Prohibit the sale of alcohol on the premises.
PZC had pledged to develop the new standards at last year’son a Pike Bay park’s conditional use permit (CUP). When it recommended for the CUP, the commission laid out some conditions to address residents’ concerns.
The residents also protested that a nearbypark, already under construction, had been granted a CUP without conditions due to mishandling of the request by previous city officials.
Commission members decided that alland should be held to the same standards. They then promised to achieve this by implementing a new that could apply to any similar establishment in the city.
This story originally appeared on The Timberjay.