Linn County Conservation is ending decades of first-come, first-served camping at its four park campgrounds, moving to a fully online reservation system for the 2027 season.
The change applies to sites at Pinicon Ridge, Wanatee, Morgan Creek and Buffalo Creek parks, where more than 300 campsites — including primitive and group camps — will now be booked through MyCountyParks.com.
Previously, only 74 campsites used the online system. Campers can reserve sites up to one year in advance, with modern campsites open from April 15 through October 15, according to an article by kwwl.com.
“Online reservations allow all campers to book a site in advance or on the same day with real-time availability ensuring that a reserved campsite will be waiting when they arrive,” said Dennis Goemaat, Linn County Conservation executive director.
“This provides a simpler, cashless process that brings our campgrounds in line with today’s camping experiences offered at many public and private campgrounds across Iowa and the country.”
The Linn County Conservation Board approved the switch earlier this year after staff studied evolving camping trends and preferences.
The move eliminates cash payments and checks entirely, addressing what officials described as ongoing payment problems.
Deputy Director Daniel Gibbins told KCRG that the county has dealt with checks written on accounts with insufficient funds and incorrect cash amounts left in envelopes.
The system also removes the need for campers to drive out with their camping gear just to secure a spot, giving them real-time availability before booking.
Refunds will not be issued for canceled campsites, a policy officials said is designed to keep sites available for those who plan ahead and to discourage speculative booking.
Campers can modify existing reservations with two weeks’ notice. Stay limits cap visitors at 14 days within any 21-day period, which county officials said ensures the campgrounds serve their intended purpose of short-term recreational use.
Linn County’s transition illustrates the accelerating shift toward digital-first operations at public campgrounds across the country.
The decision to go fully cashless and eliminate walk-up bookings reflects a broader trend that private park owners have already embraced, but it signals that county and municipal campgrounds — often slower to adopt technology — are catching up.