A caravan park in Worcester has received approval to operate year-round, following a decision by Worcester City Council to remove longstanding seasonal occupancy restrictions while maintaining limits that prevent permanent residency on-site.
The Ketch Caravan Park, located near the Ketch roundabout overlooking the River Severn, had previously been permitted to host guests only between Good Friday and October 31 each year. That restriction has now been lifted, allowing holidaymakers to stay at the site throughout the calendar year.
City planning officers noted that the site has functioned as a caravan park since the 1960s and emphasized that the revised approval does not change its classification as a holiday accommodation site.
“Historically, the seasonal restriction has ensured that the use remains within the definition of holiday accommodation rather than permanent residential use,” officers said in a report.
“The proposal does not seek to remove the holiday use restriction, only the seasonal occupancy limitation. Therefore, the use would remain as holiday accommodation rather than permanent residential occupation.”
To reinforce this distinction, the council has imposed occupancy controls. Visitors may stay for a maximum of 42 consecutive days and no more than 156 days in total per year. These measures are intended to ensure compliance with planning policy while allowing operators to respond to shifting travel patterns.
The park, which is licensed for 70 static caravans and 22 touring caravans, is owned by Tremlo Ltd. In its submission to the council, the company highlighted evolving consumer behavior as a key driver behind the application.
“The nature of holidays in this country has become increasingly diverse, in location, in season and in duration,” Tremlo Ltd told Worcester News.
“Many people go away several times a year, often for short breaks and not exclusively in the summer months. Much of this demand is for self-catering accommodation, including static holiday caravans. This spread of demand improves the use that is made of this accommodation and so is helpful to the businesses who provide it and to the communities who are supported by the spending it generates.”
The decision follows changes at the site in recent years. In 2023, previous mobile home owners were required to vacate and remove their units, a move that drew attention locally. New static caravans began to be installed in 2024 as part of the park’s repositioning.
For operators in the outdoor hospitality sector, the approval reflects a broader trend toward extending operating seasons to capture demand outside traditional peak months.
Year-round permissions, when paired with strict occupancy controls, can provide a pathway to increase revenue stability, improve asset utilization, and support local economies without triggering reclassification as residential use.
However, the Worcester case also underscores the importance of clear regulatory frameworks and enforcement mechanisms, particularly in markets where housing concerns and land-use classifications remain sensitive issues.
The outcome may serve as a reference point for other operators seeking similar adjustments, especially those aiming to align their business models with shorter, more frequent travel patterns while maintaining compliance with planning regulations.