Central Otago is an informal name for the inland part of the Otago Region in the South Island of New Zealand. The area commonly known as Central Otago includes both the Central Otago District and the Queenstown-Lakes District to the west. The motto for the area is “A World of Difference”. The area is dominated by mountain ranges and the upper reaches of the Clutha River and tributaries. The wide flat plateau of the Maniototo which lies between the upper reaches of the Taieri River and the Clutha’s northern tributary the Manuherikia is also usually considered part of Central Otago. Characterised by cold winters and hot, dry summers, the area is only lightly populated, although there has recently been considerable development around the tourist towns of Queenstown and Wanaka. First significant European occupation came with the discovery of gold at Gabriel’s Gully near Lawrence in 1861, which led to the Central Otago goldrush. Other towns and villages include Albert Town, Alexandra, Arrowtown, Bannockburn, Clyde, Cromwell, Hawea, Millers Flat, Naseby, Omakau, Ranfurly, Roxburgh, St. Bathans, and Wedderburn. Since the 19th century, most of the area’s economic activity has centred on sheep, stone fruit, and tourism. In recent years, deer farms and vineyards have increased the region’s economic diversification. Recently the cool climate varieties Riesling and Pinot noir have been recognised as being especially suitable, and as the vines age Central Otago wines can be expected to improve even further, as the plantings are new and increasing rapidly. Central Otago is the world’s southernmost commercial wine production region.