Caravan owners that are staying at the Ballyhalbert Holiday Park in County Down. Northern Ireland stated that they feel like they are being “forced out” after a change to the rental payment process.
They said that recent changes to how site fees are being paid led them to believe that they are being forced out so that new caravans can be welcomed in.
The caravan owners stated that while there has been a minor increase in fees this year, the park owners also moved the payment date from January 31, 2022, to December 1, 2021, as well as removing the option for direct debit.
They stated that this change would leave many of them unable to afford the site fees as fees will have to be paid all at once, rather than month-to-month as they previously could.
One of the caravan owners said: “This year, the holiday park has brought forward the date that we are meant to pay site rental fees by two months and removed the option to pay through direct debit, which we have always done in the past.”
“We are being asked to pay thousands in a lump sum rather than over the course of a number of months.”